Remote or Hybrid (offices: Paris, Palaiseau, Wroclaw)
Permanent employment contract
€50K-€100K annual + ESOP
Late 2022 / early 2023. Position open until filled – please apply early.
Deeptech start-up, founded in March 2020.
- Our developer product, Pathway™ is an Intelligent Event-stream Database – a game changer for enterprise clients, designed to automatically extract value from events data.
- Pathway™ provides application developers with a capacity for real-time incremental in-memory transformation of complex event streams. It is built to master scenarios involving real-world data (e.g. IoT), online data (e.g. user activity patterns), and relational data interconnections (building data ontologies).
- Pathway™ comes complete with a Python-based programming framework and a rich library of composable application templates, process mining and machine learning algorithms, reducing time to market at least 10x.
- Our first clients include some of the leaders of the logistics industry, such as DB Schenker or La Poste.
Pathway is a growing start-up, part of the tech ecosystem: incubated at Agoranov and Ecole Polytechnique, member of French Tech Paris Saclay, supported by the French Public Investment Bank and Réseau Entreprendre, accelerated by Wilco.
Named as one of the 2021 Hottest Startups to invest in by the magazine Challenges.
VC-funded, winner of the BPI I-Lab award for deeptech startups, also supported by amazing BAs from both the AI and logistics spaces.
Pathway is built by and for overachievers. Its co-founders and employees have worked in the best AI labs in the world (Microsoft Research, Google Brain, ETH Zurich), worked at Google, and graduated from top universities (Polytechnique, ENSAE, Sciences Po, HEC Paris, PhD obtained at the age of 20, etc…). Pathway’s CTO is a co-author of Goeff Hinton and Yoshua Bengio. The team also includes the co-founders of Spoj.com (1M+ developer users) and NK.pl (13.5M+ users).
We are currently searching for 1 or 2 R&D Engineers with a strong track record in designing efficient algorithms and data structures, to help develop and improve the core data processing components of our solution.
TL;DR: If hearing “dynamic graph algorithm” and “distributed index” puts a smile on your face, this is the job for you.
You Will Be
- helping to design algorithms and data structures which work in a dynamic distributed manner.
- frequently traversing the fine boundary between “classical” discrete algorithms and Machine Learning approaches (after all, would k-means clustering count as one or the other?)
- optimizing index-like data structures used in our core data processing and data storage components
The results of your work will play a crucial role in building and optimizing both the foundations of our data processing product, and its core algorithms library.
- Ready for hands-on contribution to the product.
- Curious at heart and thrilled to work on data processing challenges encountered by developers in different organizations.
- Have a profound understanding of graph algorithms, finite automata, and text (string) search algorithms.
- Have an excellent working knowledge of C/C++, or Rust, or some other comparably efficient language.
- Have a good working knowledge of Python.
- Have some familiarity with SQL.
- Have at least 2 years of experience in software development (either in the industry, or as a contributor to major open source or research projects).
- Ready to take a shine to Machine Learning approaches, but not the sort of person who tries to push every problem down a Deep Learning model.
- Have some familiarity with concepts and difficulties encountered in distributed computing.
- Understand basic statistical concepts.
- Have at least some basic familiarity with git, build systems, and CI/CD.
- Respectful of others
- Fluent in English
- Industry experience in data store / DBMS optimization or designing distributed algorithms.
- Successful track-record in algorithms contests.
- Showing a portfolio: code on github, a research paper or a PhD thesis in Algorithms or foundations of Machine Learning,…
- Familiarity with fundamentals of stream processing concepts (as in: knowing what Hyperloglog is)
- Familiarity with Pandas, SciPy, NetworkX, and similar tools from the Python stack – and openness to do occasional Data Science tasks.
- Some knowledge of Machine Learning approaches on graphs.
- Some knowledge of French, Polish, or German.
Why You Should Apply
- Join an intellectually stimulating work environment.
- Be a pioneer: you get to work with a new type of AI.
- Work in one of the hottest AI startups in France.
- Uncover exciting career prospects.
- Make significant contribution to our success.
- Join & co-create an inclusive workplace culture.
Type of contract: Permanent employment contract
Preferable joining date: late 2022 / early 2023. The positions are open until filled – please apply early.
Compensation: annual salary of €50K-€100K.
Benefits: Employee stock option plan
Location: Remote work from home.
Possibility to work or meet with other team members in one of our offices:
- Paris Area – Drahi X-Novation Center, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau.
- Paris – Agoranov (where Doctolib, Alan, and Criteo were born) near Saint-Placide Metro (75006).
- Wroclaw – University area.
Permanent residence will be required in France or Poland, exceptional candidates will be considered anywhere in the EU.
If you meet our broad requirements but are missing some experience, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
To apply or learn more: firstname.lastname@example.org, mention “Algorithms R&D Engineer” in the subject.